City Tour Medan

The first route Starts in the old fundamental sq of City Tour Medan, the Lapangan Merdeka (Independence square), in former times called Esplanade. Along this sq are the central buildings of the town, a few of them originating from colonial times such as the Lonsum construction of the British Harrisons &Crosfield business, in former days called the Julianagebouw, build in 1911, the offices of the Netherlands Indian Trading Bank and the Netherlands Trading Company build in the 1920s, the old city and town halls from 1908, the office of the Bank Indonesia, dating back to 1907, Hotel Dharma Deli (hotel De Boer) build in 1898 and the postoffice in 1911.


The 2nd route
Goes through different ethnic quarters of Medan, first during the Chinese quarter where you might still see remnants of traditional Chinese shophouses. Further on do you pass by samples of the Amsterdam School of Architecture such as the Catholic Church and the swimmingpool. The 2nd part of this route goes through the so called Sultans-kampong, the grounds of the Sultan of Deli. Here we pass from the beautiful Grand Mosque out of 1906 and the Maimoon Palace from 1889, equally build by Dutch architects. From the Sultanskampong we drive throughout the oldest street of Medan, the Kesawan, with lots of remnants of times gone by such as the AVROS and Varekamp buildings, Tip Top restaurant, the TjongA Fie mansion, the Stork building along with the former department store of Seng Hap. This route ends in the fundamental sq..

The 3rd route
Leads along the former impressive headoffice of the Deli tobacco Company followed from the oldest hospital of Medan, dating back to the 1880s and some former homes of workers of the Deli Railroad Company in the so called Serdang quarter. Here we pass from the beautiful former headoffice of the Deli Railroad Company build in 1917.

The 4th and last course
Starts again from the Esplanade whereafter we drive to the former European Polonia quarter with a great deal of beautiful villa’s. We pass from the military excercition areas where once Mata Hari dwelt, through the old court of justice as well as the former home of the Resident of East Sumatra build in 1898. Via fine samples of Amsterdam School Architecture such as the Immanuel School in 1938 and the former research station for the tobacco in JalanDiponegoro, we move to the Indian quarter where in former times the Indian population used to live. The quarter is connected to the Medan Baru quarter through the Tjong Yong Hian bridge build in 1917. The tour carries on through the home of the Governor of North Sumatra (1939), the in Amsterdam School of Architecture design build Elisabeth Hospital (1930) and ends with the impressive office of the Amsterdam Trading Company completed in 1924.